©03 The Media Desk
Well. They seem to be making a comeback.
Friendship quizzes and cute little poems and stories, and even a few things some call glurge (needlessly emotional stories often supported by questionable facts sometimes misrepresented or with important data left out). One of the best sources for checking these things is Snopes.com 's Glurge Gallery.
While not SPAM per se, SPAM is usually defined as unsolicited commercial mass emails, they can qualify if you broaden the definition to include all Emailbox clutter.
Recently, OK, this morning, the Desk decided to look at a few of these things; one quiz, one glurge, and one 'little known fact'.
The quiz is below. For what it's worth you can find out things about the Desk.
The glurge was the 'Makes You Think' piece about Roosevelt, Churchill, and Hitler. It turns out not to be as true as it claims to be according to Snopes.com, and several other sources, including where the Desk went to look up some facts on the people mentioned: Biography.com. Something the SPAMMERS never seem to do.
The little known fact was out and out FICTION. See this one at Brass SPAM on the Desk.
So what's the verdict? Is this stuff actually SPAM or not?
"My Final Answer Is..." Yeah, when you end up with about a dozen of these things in your mailbox including the usual assortment of credit offers and Enlarge your (personal body part) NOW things, Sure, they're SPAM.
Email SPAM Questionnaire answered.
You are supposed to copy this email. Change all the answers so they apply to you. Then, send this to a whole bunch of people you know, INCLUDING the person that sent it to you. The theory is that you will get a pile of get-to-know e-mails! You'll learn a lot of little known (and sometimes scary) facts about your friends! Remember to send this back to the person who sent it to you!
Come on people, it takes 2 minutes, and then its done, and you find out things about other people!
- What is your name? Dr. Leftover, Mr. Kada, Etc.
- What color pants are you wearing right now? Dark Blue
- What are you listening to right now? G. Gordon Liddy live in Jerusalem
- What are the last four digits of your phone number? Work or Home?
- What was the last thing you ate? Breakfast.
- What color of crayon would you be and why? Why on God's Good Green Earth would I want to be a crayon of ANY color.... Stupid Question. Next.
- Where do/did you plan to go on your honeymoon? That was 18 years ago. Next.
- How is the weather right now? Mr. Liddy said it's warm but cloudy in Jerusalem.
- Who was the last person you talked to on the phone? An MCC Operator at Verizon.
- What's the first thing you notice about the opposite sex? That they ARE actually female.
- Do you like the person that sent you this? As compared to who? Hillary Clinton? Next.
- How are you today? As compared to what?
- Your favorite drink? Wild Turkey Rye 101 Proof Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whisky.
- Your favorite alcoholic drink? See above.
- How do you eat an Oreo? I don't.
- Favorite sport to watch? All of them.
- What's the next CD you're going to get? Depends on the interest rate offered.
- Hair color? Gray, and getting grayer.
- Eye Color? Bloodshot, and getting ....
- Do you wear contacts? On what? My glasses? Sheesh.
- Favorite month? Stupid question. NEXT.
- Favorite food? Free and/or Cheap.
- Summer or winter? For what?
- Hugs or Kisses? Nevermind.
- Relationship or one night stands? Ditto.
- Chocolate or vanilla? Neither of them go good with bourbon.
- Do you want your friends to write back? Write back what?
- Who is least likely to respond? To what?
- Who is most likely to respond? Ditto
The Desk Urban Legend and SPAM Page
back to the Desk or the humor page at: www.themediadesk.com.